Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Quick Observation

If, as some "experts" are predicting, Barnes and Noble is on it's last legs, it would be an absolutely devastating blow to book lovers. Don't get me wrong... I love Amazon.com. I have done a lot of business with them, and will in the future, I'm sure. Sometimes, though, you just get a hankering to go down to the bookstore and have a browse... whether you make a purchase or not.

I know, I know... "step into the future, Rob. Digital is the only way to go." I just can't do it. There is, to me, something almost inhuman about e-books. Part of the thrill of book buying is holding it in your hands/resting it in your lap, the turning of the pages, the "new book smell." It's just not the same thing, staring at a screen. Screens have a coldness to them that is hard for newjack "readers," who refused to read much at all until the advent of the e-book, to understand. Convenience is a wonderful thing, true. Sometimes, though, not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment